GREY HAIR TIPS
Grey hair is becoming more and more on trend and can look incredibly stylish when maintained properly. Grey hair is not only great for mature men who want to embrace their greys but also for younger men as it looks incredibly fashionable and gives a cool and modern twist to their hair. Below I outline my top tips to keep your grey looking its best as possible, and also tips for older men who want to grow out their current colour and embrace their greys…
1. For men who are going grey and have decided to embrace their greys, one of my top tips is to opt for a shorter haircut. This will allow any coloured hair to grow out quicker and also there won’t be as much of a contrast between the coloured hair and the grey hair as it comes in in comparison to if your hair is long. A short, textured cut in particular will look best, where the hair has more volume and movement. For younger men the haircut is also incredibly important to ensure your hair still has a youthful appearance. Pompadours, side partings and fades look great with grey hair and will keep your hair looking youthful and modern.
2. If you have grey hair you should always use a silver shampoo. I always advise grey haired clients use this once or twice per week maximum, which will avoid the grey having any brassy tones and will keep it looking vibrant and full of shine.
3. Grey hair tends to lack shine due to the lack melanin, therefore, it’s also important to also use hair products that will give your hair condition and shine. Hair oils and serums in particular are really great for giving the hair shine and further vibrancy and also hair masks and conditioning products that can be used once a week to keep the grey looking vibrant, nourished and healthy at all times. Try to avoid using products with a matte finish, as these will make your grey look dull.
4. For younger men, asking your hairdresser/barber for to add some lighter blondes tones first before trialling grey/silver in your hair may be beneficial. You can then see if the lighter blonde tones work for you and your skin tone and you can then have these highlighted pieces toned further down the line to update your look instantly.
5. If you have a beard it's important to take this into consideration when opting for grey hair to make sure it compliments your new hair colour. I find that it’s best to keep your beard neatly trimmed and contoured instead of long and messy, as it will give this whole look a cooler and sophisticated appearance and really compliment the grey.